Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Brand New Month

Wow - February really did go by fast! But since I was away for 2 weeks, and then had a great Offline weekend, no wonder!

I mentioned in an earlier post that I've become a podcast fan - my favorites involve knitting (because it's so easy to knit while I listen - multi-tasking at its best) but I have also discovered some tech-related ones: the Mike Tech Show and the New York Times Tech Talk (since I'm already subscribed I'm not subscribing here).

I could see using something like this for patrons, describing the latest new books or upcoming programs at the library. It would take a little time to get good at creating these - I can tell the difference between the NYTimes (very professional) and one of the (unprofessional) knitting podcasts. And it would require dedicated staff to keep it current.

There is always the danger of using technology just because it's there, not because you really have a good use for it.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Good point about not feeling like you have to use all this stuff just because it's out there. But I think it might be worthwhile to try to get some folks together at MLA to brainstorm some possible uses for podcasts and also look at some areas for concern. After all, there's nothing else to do...

Unknown said...

I'm sure there are some clever MLA folks who have great ideas for podcast-use, and it would be fun to have a brainstorm session.